Third Stimulus Check Tracker: How To Track Your Irs Stimulus Check Now
The IRS’s Get My Payment portal is fairly simply to use, but you’ll need some information handy before getting started. Keep a copy of your latest tax return nearby if you have it.
Also make sure to check the URL of any website before entering your private information to avoid stimulus-check scams or other forms of identity theft. The Get My Payment website’s URL should look like this: .
Step 1: Got to the IRS Get My Payment app website. Click “Get My Payment” to enter the portal.
Step 2: Click “OK” on the authorized-use notification page after you’ve reviewed the terms.
Step 3: Fill out your Social Security number or Individual Tax ID , your date of birth , your street address and your ZIP code. Click “Continue.”
You should now see your stimulus check payment status, or a page that says your status is unavailable.
Im Told My Stimulus Check Was Sent But I Didnt Get It
To find the amounts of your economic impact payments , check your online account.
You can securely access your individual IRS account online to view the total of your first, second and third economic impact payment amounts under the economic impact payment information section on the tax records page.
The IRS mailed EIP notices to the address they have on file.
- Notice 1444: Shows the first Economic Impact Payment sent for tax year 2020
- Notice 1444-B: Shows the second Economic Impact Payment sent for tax year 2020
- Notice 1444-C: Shows the third Economic Impact Payment sent for tax year 2021
For married filing joint individuals, each spouse will need to log into their own online account or review their own letter for their half of the total payment.
Didnt Get The Full Third Payment Claim The 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit
You may be eligible to claim a Recovery Rebate Credit on your 2021 federal tax return if you didnt get a third Economic Impact Payment or got less than the full amount.
In early 2022, well send Letter 6475 to the address we have on file for you confirming the total amount of your third Economic Impact Payment and any plus-up payments you received for tax year 2021. You will need this information to accurately calculate your 2021 Recovery Rebate Credit when you file your 2021 federal tax return in 2022.
Read Also: Why Would You Not Get A Stimulus Check
You May See A Payment Status Not Available Message
Dont be alarmed if the Get My Payment tool gives you a message that says Payment Status Not Available. You may see this message until your payment is processed, according to the IRS. So you may not have to do anything.
Read Also: Is There A Second Stimulus Check
What’s The First Step To Take
First, you need to log into the Internal Revenue Services Get My Payment tool.
Youll be able to find out when the IRS sent out your check, how much it should be, how it’ll be paid if there’s a delay and more.
To use it, youll need your Social Security Number or Individual Tax ID Number .
If you’ve forgotten your SSN or need a new card, see how you can get a replacement on the official SSN website.
Youll also need to enter your date of birth and address.
Also Check: How To Track Your Third Stimulus Check
What Does ‘payment Status Not Available’ Mean
According the stimulus check FAQ, you might see “Payment Status Not Available” if you are required to file a tax return but haven’t yet, the IRS hasn’t finished processing it if you have, or you’re not eligible.
Be patient and check back in with the Get My Payment app if you’ve recently filed your returns. If you’ve received your tax return payment and still see the “Payment Status Not Available,” message, call 800-919-9835 for the Economic Impact Payment information line.
Looking for more financial resources? Here’s how to file for unemployment online.
- The best all-in-one printers to help keep your paperwork in order
Problem #: My Economic Impact Payment Has Not Been Processed
If your stimulus payment has not yet been processed, be patient.
The IRS will continue to issue $1,400 stimulus payments throughout 2021. The agency says it will regularly update recipients status information on its Get My Payment tool and recommends checking it daily for updates on payment status.
Recommended Reading: Third Stimulus Checks Tax Return Irs
How The Treasury Offset Program Works
Here’s how the Treasury Offset Program works:
If you owe more money than the payment you were going to receive, then TOP will send the entire amount to the other government agency. If you owe less, TOP will send the agency the amount you owed, and then send you the remaining balance.
Here’s an example: you were going to receive a $1,500 federal tax refund. But you are delinquent on a student loan and have $1,000 outstanding. TOP will deduct $1,000 from your tax refund and send it to the correct government agency. It will also send you a notice of its action, along with the remaining $500 that was due to you as a tax refund.
The Internal Revenue Service can help you understand more about tax refund offsets.
Take Advantage Of This Irs Tool To Find Out The Status Of Your Stimulus Funds
If you claimed unpaid stimulus money and it’s coming as part of your tax refund, you can find out where your payment is and when you’ll receive it by using the Where’s My Refund tool on the IRS website. You also have the option to download the IRS2Go app in order to check the status of your refund.
Details about where your money is should be available within 24 hours of the time that you electronically filed your return or within four weeks of the time that you submitted a tax return via mail. The IRS updates the website overnight, so if you use the tool to find out where your money is and it doesn’t have the information available yet, you can check back the next day.
You will need to provide your Social Security number or taxpayer ID Number, as well as your filing status and the exact amount of your refund to use this tool. But as long as you have these details available, you can find out exactly where your stimulus funds are so you can plan for when this cash will hit your account and become available for your use.
You May Like: How Long Does Stimulus Check Take In The Mail
What If You Have Changed Your Address Or Bank Account
The IRS will use the data already in its systems to send the new payments:
- If your direct deposit information is on file, you will receive the payment that way.
- If your direct deposit information is not on file, you will receive the payment as a check or debit card in the mail.
Some payments may have been sent to an account that may be closed or no longer active. By law, the financial institution must return the payment to the IRS, they cannot hold and issue the payment to an individual when the account is no longer active.
The IRS cannot change payment information, including bank account or mailing information. If an eligible taxpayer does not get a payment or it is less than expected, it may be claimed on the 2020 tax return as the Recovery Rebate Credit. Remember, Economic Impact Payments are an advance payment of what will be called the Recovery Rebate Credit on the 2020 Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR.
What If You Have Trouble With The Tool
To use the Get My Payment tool, you must first verify your identity by answering security questions. If the information you enter does not match IRS records, you will receive an error message. To avoid this:
- Double-check the information requested
- Make sure what you enter is accurate
- Try entering your street address in a different way and
- Use the US Postal Services ZIP Lookup tool to look up the standard version of your address, and enter it into exactly as it appears on file with the Postal Service.
If your answers do not match the IRS records three times, youll be locked out of Get My Payment for security reasons. If that happens, you must wait 24 hours and try again. If you cant verify your identity, you wont be able to use Get My Payment. Unfortunately, theres no fix for that: the IRS says not to not contact them.
However, if you verified your identity and received Payment Status Not Available, this means that the IRS cannot determine your eligibility for a payment right now. There are several reasons this could happen, including:
- You didnt file either a 2018 or 2019 tax return or
- Your recently filed return has not been fully processed.
Again, the IRS says theres no fix for that and you should not contact them.
Also Check: How Often Are Stimulus Checks Deposited
Here’s What Veterans And Ssi Ssdi Beneficiaries Should Know
The IRS tracking tool Get My Payment is designed to tell you the status of your third stimulus check. People who receive Social Security benefits like SSDI and SSI and veterans who don’t file taxes can also see their payment status in the tracker tool. Tens of millions of Social Security recipients and veterans should have already received their $1,400 payment.
Stimulus Check Payments Begin: Make Sure Your Irs Details Are Correct
The IRS has confirmed that the $600 stimulus checks are already being made but some are yet to receive the first round of payments. Make sure you dont miss out on the cash.
Hes obsessed with the fact that he loses his immunity on January 20th
George Conway on that Georgia call and the claims in general.
Also Check: Update On The Stimulus Package
Also Check: Where’s My Payment Stimulus Check
You May See A ‘need More Information’ Message
According to the IRS FAQ, a Need More Information message in the Get My Payment tool means your payment was returned because the US Postal Service wasn’t able to deliver it.
The FAQ says you’ll be able to have your payment reissued as a direct deposit by providing a bank routing and account number, a prepaid debit card or a financial service account that has a routing and account number associated with it. The FAQ says you can also update your mailing address to receive your payment.
What Can Slow Down Your Refund
- Your return was selected for additional review. As refund fraud resulting from identify theft has become more widespread, were taking extra steps to review all individual income tax returns we receive to be sure refunds go to the rightful owners. Additional safeguards can mean that it takes us longer to process your refund. However, our goal is to stop fraudulent refunds before theyre issued, not to slow down your refund. Learn more about our refund review process and what were doing to protect taxpayers.
- Missing information or documents. If we send you a letter requesting more information, please respond quickly so we can continue processing your return.
- Errors on your return. We found a math error in your return or have to make another adjustment. If the adjustment causes a different refund amount than you were expecting, we will send you a letter to explain the adjustment.
- Problems with direct deposit. If you requested direct deposit, but the account number was entered incorrectly, your bank wont be able to process the deposit. When this happens, your bank notifies us, and we will manually re-issue your refund as a check. This process could take up to 2 weeks between the time we receive notification from the bank and when you receive the check.
You May Like: 2nd Batch Of Stimulus Checks 2021
Wheres My First Stimulus Check How To Check The Status
This content is for the first stimulus check. For information on the second stimulus check, visit our Wheres My Second Stimulus Check? blog post. For information on the third stimulus check, please visit our Wheres My Third Stimulus Check? blog post.
The IRS is continuing to send stimulus payments to eligible Americans across the United States. Stimulus payments will be based on your 2019 tax return, or your 2018 tax return if you have not yet filed this season.
The IRS launched a Get My Payments tool to help people track the status of their Stimulus payment, confirm their payment method and provide direct deposit information.
If youre wondering how and when you will receive your stimulus check, weve outlined some guidance for you below.
How Can You Check On The Status Of A Missing Stimulus Payment
It’s easy to check the status of your third stimulus check through the Get My Payment tool. You’ll need to request a payment trace if the IRS portal shows your payment was issued but you haven’t received it within the time frame outlined in the chart above.
To use the tool, you need to plug in your Social Security number or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, date of birth, street address and ZIP or postal code. The portal will show your payment status, if your money has been scheduled and the payment method and date. You might also see a different message or an error.
Read Also: Who Doesn’t Get A Stimulus Check
I Havent Received My Payment Why Is It Taking So Long To Process
Rest assured, if you are eligible to receive a second stimulus, you will receive your money. Most individuals do not need to do anything to get it. Contacting your financial institution or tax preparation service will not help you to receive the payment faster. Neither of those organizations have control over the payment or any insight into when it will reach you.
Unfortunately, TaxAct cannot see when you will receive your payment or know why it is delayed. The appropriate bank account information used to file your 2019 tax return was shared with the IRS when your return was filed. That is the information they have to process your stimulus payment and send the money to you.
The IRS stated some payments were sent to a bank account that is no longer active. We are working with the IRS to resolve that issue in an effort to help our customers impacted by that mistake get their stimulus money as quickly as possible.
Dont Miss: When Should Stimulus Check Arrive
What Will The Status Report Look Like
For third-round stimulus checks, the “Get My Payment” tool will display one of the following:
1. Payment Status. If you get this message, a payment has been issued. The status page will show a payment date, payment method , and account information if paid by direct deposit. Note that “mail” means either a paper check or a debit card. If you don’t recognize the bank account number displayed in the tool, it doesn’t necessarily mean your deposit was made to the wrong account or that there’s a fraud. If you don’t recognize the account number, it may be an issue related to how information is displayed in the tool tied to temporary accounts used for refund loans/banking products.
2. Need More Information. This message is displayed if your 2020 return was processed but the IRS doesn’t have bank account information for you and your payment has not been issued yet. It could also mean your payment was returned to the IRS by the Post Office as undeliverable. As mentioned above, if your payment is returned, you’ll have the opportunity to provide the IRS your bank account or debit card information so they can issue a direct deposit payment . If you don’t provide any account information, the IRS can’t reissue your payment until they receive an updated address.
The portal is updated no more than once daily, typically overnight. As a result, there’s no reason to check the portal more than once per day.
Don’t Miss: Latest Update On Stimulus Check
This Irs Tax Return Status Is Showing What Does It Mean
Both IRS tools will show you one of three messages to explain your tax return status.
- Received: The IRS now has your tax return and is working to process it.
- Approved: The IRS has processed your return and confirmed the amount of your refund, if youre owed one.
- Sent: Your refund is now on its way to your bank via direct deposit or as a paper check sent to your mailbox.
Stimulus Check Irs Phone Number: Where To Call
The IRS Economic Impact Payment phone number is 800-919-9835. You can call to speak with a live representative about your stimulus check.
Be prepared to sit on hold, though. If the automated responses can’t answer your questions and you’d like to talk to a live operator, you may join a long waiting list. Some people say they haven’t even been able to get through.
That’s why the IRS recommends using its dedicated stimulus check portal for fast assistance. It also reminds those who are eligible for a stimulus check but aren’t required to file a tax return to use the Non-Filers tool to register for their payment.
Looking for more information about stimulus checks? Check out our stimulus check FAQ page for answers to common payment questions.
Recommended Reading: Irs Stimulus Check 3 Direct Deposit